Monday, November 13, 2017

FAMILIAR FLUFF

There is a certain joy in seeing the old in the new.

Amongst other simple joys of my childhood was that of eating soan-papdi from a newspaper cone. The ringing of a bell indicated a soan-papdi wallah with his pushcart full of fluffy, flaky, white goodness that melted in the mouth in its sugary glory. A cone cost 50 paise (in the late 1980s) and we ensured we picked out every needle-like flake from within the folds of the newspaper cone. Flaky soan-papdi disappeared from my life for many years after that - to be replaced by store-made soan-papdi blocks. It tasted great, but missed the texture of the disintegrated version.

Recently, Ma bought me a jar of flaky soan-papdi from Chennai - and it brought back a pleasant whiff of a bygone time.

As I said at the beginning of this post, there is a certain joy in seeing the old in the new. Made a cone for my son (who wanted it in a cup with a spoon anyway) - who may never feel the joy this treat bought to me - but made my heart smile with inexplicable delight.

No comments: