Saturday, November 04, 2017

MO REASON TO GROW ONE

I've always had mixed thoughts about whether I like my face with a moustache or without. I've received different responses from people each time I've tried to experiment with one. Mostly, I've agreed with "It makes you look older. Why do you want to look older than you are, until you are older anyway?" Now I am 35. I wonder if I've hit that breakpoint of "older anyway". That aside, my wife (who is most directly impacted by changes to my upper lip contours) detests moustaches - and especially my efforts to sport one.

Several years ago, I grew a moustache to be ready for a dear friend's wedding in Kerala. Now this friend was also a master in experimenting with his facial hair, but told me he was ensuring a thick moustache for his wedding, because in Kerala, "You are not a man if you don't have one!" Other than wanting to assert my masculinity in God's own country, I wanted to support my friend on his special day where I was the unofficial 'best man'. The look was a hit. My wife had no option but to glower in silence.

The look is coming back. This time, for Movember. It is a cause that needs attention - raising awareness about men's physical and mental health and potentially lead to contributions that fund over a thousand men’s health projects across 21 countries. Not enough is discussed about men's well-being. Even by men themselves. And that is what needs to be changed.

P.S: Mo is Australian for Moustache.

1 comment:

Ravi said...

Vinesh, I posted on similar lines a long while ago here: http://kondattam.blogspot.com/2006/01/whats-in-mousch.html

Personally, I feel guys sporting mustache look smarter though, somehow, I have always shunned one myself. Maybe its due to the "maintenance effort" that is involved.