Monday, February 16, 2015

THE FATHER FACTOR

Realised something about myself when I watched this ad, and the many memes after India defeated Pakistan yet again in a World Cup match. More than anything else, I connected with the father's heart - explaining cricket to his doting son, sharing his feelings about the match, wanting his son to experience the joy he couldn't, and finally watching his heart sink in disappointment. 

Yes, I'm happy India won today. Yes, I'm aware the father-son in this ad were just actors. Yet, in every country, fathers are fathers - in that they want nothing more than to see happiness on their children's faces. And I realised I'm too much of an emotional father to watch this ad as just an Indian cricket fan. I'm sad this little boy would have cried again today.

No comments: