Saturday, June 19, 2010

BIG SISTER

As I was walking home this evening, I was charmed by the sight of a little girl (about 6 years old) and an even littler girl (about 3 yrs old) holding hands and trudging along the walkway of my apartment complex. The littler girl squeaked, "Didi, legs is paining!!" (yes, in that cute lack of subject-verb agreement) and immediately, the bigger girl scooped her up in her arms (somewhat clumsily though) and walked ahead. After about 20 steps of huffing and puffing which was the best that she could, the big sister put the little one down, and they started walking hand-in-hand again.

The gesture of the older girl moved me so much it brought tears to my eyes. She probably knew that she couldn't carry her little sister all the way home, but tried her best, for what it was worth. And the instantness of her responding to her little sister's need - at this age!

I have rarely experienced before - this deep pain associated with not having something that I long for, and yet feel a bizarre current of happiness when I see someone else have it.

4 comments:

Rathi said...

Vine, this blog was the most touching one. I can understand your feeling at this moment.

Pointblank said...

Whats ur deep longing? To have a sis? This one moved me...

Jeevan said...

That's nice and so sweet of the sister.

I just feel sometime that people not even need to help but a feeling is enough .

Maha said...

reminds me of my elder brother who's even sweeter - oops tata U!! :)